Urban areas are destined to grow rapidly in the coming years. Various opportunities are being explored to develop inland ports into places that accommodate residential, recreational and economic activities. But many challenges in urban planning and the inland shipping sector have to be overcome to achieve this in a sustainable way.
The conference will inform and inspire you on how inland port areas can be made healthy, liveable, sustainable and smart. You will also have ample opportunity to tackle issues with other participants, exchange ideas, and expand your network.
'Ports and the City – Smart & Healthy’ will take place on 12 and 13 April 2018 in Nijmegen, the Netherlands and is being organized by Nijmegen European Green Capital 2018 and the Smart and Healthy City programme of the Dutch Ministry of Infrastructure and Water Management.
1. Healthy and sustainable urban design
Duisburg, Ghent and Antwerp are good examples of cities fully engaged in inland ports transitions. How are they managing? And if they could develop the area again, what would they do differently?
Inland ports of the future:
The Rotterdam urban design group “De Urbanisten” is transforming the inland ports of the cities of Deventer and Arnhem into harbour areas of the future.
They will be presenting their design study, which focuses on climate-neutral area development,
healthy urbanization, clean-tech ports, zero emission mobility, the circular economy,
and sustainable entrepreneurship.
2. European and International cooperation
- The focus is on various issues, such as current and future developments in the EU in the fields of clean waterways, clean fuels and urban development
- How to finance a sustainable and clean inland shipping sector
- Cooperation with Nijmegen European Green Capital 2018, EU-LIFE Programme CLean INland SHipping (CLINSH), Dutch Federation of Inland Ports (NVB) and the EU Urban Air Quality Partnership programme
3. Sustainable fuels and sustainable energy
Supplies at the quay combined with a vision on fuel, public transport and vehicles in the city.